Security Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Where do I report a suspected fraud case?

If you have been a victim of fraud or if you have visited a Web site that appears to be fraudulent, please contact the Fraud Hotline toll-free number from anywhere in the United States is (800) 827-9650.

Back to Top

Who do I contact if I've been a victim of identity theft?

Identity theft and identity fraud are terms used to refer to all types of crime in which someone wrongfully obtains and uses another person’s personal data in some way that involves fraud or deception, typically for economic gain.

You should contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) by telephone, toll-free at 1-877-ID-THEFT (438-4338); by postal mail: Federal Trade Commission, Identity Theft Clearinghouse, 600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20580.

For more information to help you guard against and recover from identity theft, you can request the booklet Take Charge: Fighting Back Against Identity Theft from the FTC or view it on their Web site at

This Web site also has an ID Theft Affidavit to alert companies where a new account is opened in your name. The Affidavit, as well as other useful consumer information, can be found on the FTC’s Web site at

Back to Top

What other resources can I use to help protect against fraud and identity theft?

Below is a listing of some additional useful Web sites.

  • Internet Crime Complaint Center
    FBI and National White Collar Crime Center partnership addressing fraud via the Internet.

Back to Top