The Erie Federal Credit Union was formed in June of 1936 by a group of local Erie educators who started the Credit Union using their own money. They began serving members with meager means and a very small staff of one. Our first office was in the home of a Board Member, who served members on a regular basis. This office served our membership until in 1973, when we built our first office on East 38th Street.
Since our inception, we have grown from a Single Occupational Common Bond Credit Union to a Multiple Occupational Common Bond Credit Union. In 1982 our Federal Regulators allowed us to expand our field of membership to include other outside Employer Groups that shared a common bond. Since that time we have grown to over 230 Employer Groups. Some of our Employer Groups were acquired through mergers with other Credit Unions.
During the 1990's we saw a large increase in our growth. This growth is attributed to offering alternatives to the traditional method of banking. In 1990 we gained access for our members to a successful Credit Union Shared Service Center Network and in 1995 we began to deploy our own ATMs. In 1997 we introduced the debit card and in 1999 acquired an east-side office at 2436 Buffalo Road through a merger with another Credit Union and also built a west-side office located at 1005 Greengarden Road. In the fall of 2003, we merged with two Credit Unions. These mergers provided our members with a downtown office at 518 State Street and another east-side office at 1306 East Lake Road. Our Millcreek office was opened in early 2004 at 5500 Zuck Road
On May 2, 2003, the Erie FCU was granted a Community Charter, which will allow us to bring in new members who live, work, worship or attend school in the county of Erie, PA.
We're proud of our growth and history in the Credit Union Movement. Thank you to all the members of the Erie Federal Credit Union for your support and trust in our leadership.